Tuesday, July 12, 2011

MY BIG FAT JORDAN LIE

I was propagating lies about how I ended up in Jordan even before I left Portland. I have found in life that a well placed lie is sometimes essential for momentum. As my life was crumbling before me in Portland almost three years ago, I thought desperately about my next step. It was time to make the move into more creative endeavors, but I had no idea how to go about it. I assume a lot of people get stuck at that point. So I decided, rather quickly and without any knowledge about the likelihood of finding work, that I would sell my beautiful floating home and move to Amman, Jordan. I knew two people there, a roommate I lived with for a semester in college, and a guy who lived down the hall that I'd stayed in touch with over the years. Now the lie: I told everyone that my roommate in college started a company, and that he assured me that I could work for him and that there were plenty of opportunities in Jordan. This conversation never took place, though he does run an internet company here. This was the well placed lie. People in general don't appreciate when people close to them take big risks with their lives. As I was vulnerable at the time, I decided that if my move offered some security, that the people I told would support it. This was true, and this was the momentum I needed to convince myself to go through with my somewhat crazy plan. In the end, I was able to make a decent living in Jordan and establish myself as a photographer. I do owe a tremendous debt to my friend Bryce who allowed me to live at his house for nearly a year as I was beating down the doors of potential clients. One thing I don't fully understand is why I continue to tell this lie when people ask me how I ended up in Jordan. Perhaps for the sake of brevity, or perhaps its mental muscle memory. But what is true is that I moved to Jordan because it was as far away from my old life as I could get. And that has made all the difference.

2 comments:

  1. i think you and I should work together... not because of lies, but because you are a good writer... you are a good photographer too, but I think you are an even better writer. I hope that doesn't offend you. I think that knowing photography as you do will help you write a story that has photographs accompanying it... and it will help you help me to take better pictures for the story itself... Let's go somewhere and make some stories... too bad you aren't going on the Woods Project thing with me... I have proposed the story to a few magazines but without a really good response so far... because I don't have a writer... what do you say? let's pick a story and tell it. someplace scary.

    I'm gonna beon the road from 9pm to 11 pm Central standard time tonight... and from 7pm on tomorrow night... holler at me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only mildly offensive. People here sure wouldn't agree with you about the writing. I'm game if we can find time. I have a few ideas.

    ReplyDelete