Friday, July 29, 2011

GONE WITH THE WIND AND MY TIME



Yesterday I visited what is billed as "The Margaret Mitchell House", but what in reality is the "Margaret Mitchell Tiny Apartment". It was here where she wrote the majority of "Gone With the Wind", which we were told on the tour is only outsold by the Bible. Because I have never read the book, I thought I would kick back today and watch the highly acclaimed film version. The thing is four hours long, and for the life of me, I can't seem to find the message, less Mitchell was an existentialist. The beautiful Scarlett O'Hara in the movie has a thing for Ashley that she just can't seem to get past, though the character of Ashley is played by a very feminine Leslie Howard (ironically both his character and real names are girl names). I just don't buy the lifelong attraction, especially after Rhett enters the scene. I also didn't buy Scarlett's riches to rags to riches personality transformation. After the war, she is forced to work the land with her own hands, and instead of building empathy, the experience creates a greedy monster. Hopefully the book was better. One interesting item for sale in the gift shop is shown in the middle photo: the drunken rape scene commemorative music box. Very strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment