Sunday, July 19, 2009

ART?
































It has taken a while, but I finally have a second to give some context to these photos. I took them last weekend in Shatana, Jordan, an almost deserted town in the northwest corner of the country. For two weeks about 15 artists from around the world converge on this town to share their artistic insights with humanity. They travel thousands of miles and come to Shatana to "feel the vibe of the earth" and create visual art installations. I tried really hard to appreciate this work; like the giant beach ball made out of shower curtains, or the wall of clothes shown above. Ultimately the mystery prevailed. Later my friend and I took a cab to Irbid, the second largest town in Jordan. We intended to relax at our hotel and have a few beers. Unfortunately Irbid is probably one of the few dry college towns in the world. Defeated, we retired early to our room only to find the satellite cable teeming with adult movie channels, which gave me an idea for my own visual art installation for next year.

1 comment:

  1. Not... and neither is most photography, including yours, and mine.

    ReplyDelete