Friday, April 15, 2011

MY PARENT'S VISIT TO JORDAN AND PALESTINE




My parents just ended a two and a half week worldwind tour of Jordan and Palestine (I'm amazed at how many sites on the internet consider the word Palestine as anti-semitic propaganda, but I digress). My parents enjoyed Jordan much more than the land to the west of the Jordan River. They thought my term, the unholy land, fit well. As with most foreign tourists, they found their preconceived notions of the Middle East to be vastly wrong. I have great admiration for them coming here, even when not a single friend in their rural Georgia community thought it was a sane choice. They came despite their initial fears, and more people should. The closest thing they saw to a terroist incident was being overcharged for a carved camel in Petra. It's great that my folk still have that sense for adventure. I'll miss them.

3 comments:

  1. don't you remember when ted danson and whoppi got in trouble for that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first and the last pictures incorrectly have my watermark. They were taken by Julie and my father respectively.

    ReplyDelete