Friday, April 8, 2011

EVOLUTION OF THE HAPPY MEDIUM LOGO




I was looking through some old files the other day and came across this series of logos for my company. I first established a video production company in Portland in 2003 called Happy Medium Productions, and sketched out my idea for the logo of the devil and an angel laying in bed in post-coital bliss. The devil is drinking herbal tea, while the angel smokes a cigarette. I then found a very talented graphic designer named Jeffrey Boyce to draw it in Illustrator. I was very proud of the logo until I started getting corporate clients and got a bit embarrased every time I handed them my card. I was also starting to do more photography, so the "productions" bit didn't make much sense. So I made a list of all the polarities I knew of and tried to find a pair I could unite without controversy (lets just say that my idea of a Palestinian giving a Jew a piggy-back ride or Nietzsche playing cards with God didn't seem any better than the devil logo). As my favorite book is Moby Dick, this seemed to be the obvious choice. So I drew the whale and Ahab as pals. Jeffrey again drew the final logo, but in this case changed it quite a bit, simplified the idea, and made it much better. I love the logo and have even thought of getting a tattoo of it, though it's hard to find a good parlor in Amman.

1 comment:

  1. If you are seriously thinking of getting this tattooed on your body you should have told me earlier. It may have changed my decision the other night (he he). But really.....bad idea.

    ReplyDelete