Wednesday, April 20, 2011

THE ENGAGEMENT RING

As I noted in a previous post, I gave Julie my Great Grandmother's engagement ring when I proposed to her recently. After closer inspection by two local jewelers, it seems it might be my Grandmother's ring, as the diamond was estimated to be around 40 years old (they can tell by the cut). Getting the ring resized here in Jordan has almost given me multiple heart attacks. The first jeweler I took it to, Kayali, started sawing the band before they had even established Julie's size. When they cut too much out, they filled the gap with a gold spacer instead of platnium (which the band is made of). They pretended like this was normal until I insisted the ring should be all platinum. They finally confessed that they don't work with platinum, but said if I brought it back in a few days they would get some and do it right. I stupidly did this and they used the platnium they cut out of the ring originally to replace the gold, though they did it wrong and it no longer fit Julie's finger. Do not get work done at Kayali. They mean well, but don't have a clue what they're doing. Then I started asking around and everyone I trusted recommended a jeweler called Imseeh. The manager there assured me his people could fix the mess. It took three tries, but finally the head repair man cut out all previous fuck-ups, inserted a solid piece of platinum after he confirmed with Julie that it fit properly, and welded it in place using platinum solder. After sanding and polishing it looked better than new. Thank God for over-the-counter valium here in Jordan!

2 comments:

  1. poor buddy.... talk about stress! Glad you got it worked out... but you should have taken the pic with the ring on J's finger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still new at all this stuff buddy!

    ReplyDelete