Monday, September 14, 2009

A LODGE LIT BY CANDLES



I was back in Jordan less than 12 hours before I found myself in a car heading down to shoot Feynan Ecolodge in the Dana Biosphere Reserve, about 3 hours south of Amman. The lodge was named one of the top ecolodges in the world by National Geographic Adventure. It can only be accessed by 4 wheel drive or by hiking in 4 hours. The lodge by day is nice, with basic amenities and good aesthetic design, but by night it takes on an entirely different feel. Local Bedouin run Feynan and spend the day molding around three hundred candles that illuminate the lodge at night. It is quite romantic, or so my 4 other male travel companions concurred. My favorite part was the roof. It is scattered with mattresses so you can take in the unpolluted night sky. It also makes for a hell of a place to have a cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment