Tuesday, September 22, 2009

ALL THE KING'S CARS


It's good to be King. It means having nice things, like a 5 story underground parking garage filled with cars like these. Of course, these are the cars that weren't nice enough to make it into the museum down the street, or into his majesty's personal parking garage filled with the cars he uses. In the "overflow" garage next to the car featured above was a Lincoln that was a gift from President Nixon.

This shoot was a test to see if I could handle the actual job which is to photograph 12 of the King's nicest cars for a calender. I was told very little beforehand, only that I was going to shoot cars. I ended up inside the Royal Palace. The only ID I had on me was a credit card. Imagine a foreigner being let onto the grounds of the White House after showing a credit card. It got me in and thus started the challenge of shooting highly reflective shiny things with three flashes and a small bag of light shaping tools. The jury is still out as to whether I passed the test, but I really hope I do. There is a bit of irony in shooting cars when for the first time in my life since I was fifteen I don't even own one. Perhaps I can work out a trade for Nixon's Lincoln!


No comments:

Post a Comment