Thursday, April 10, 2014

SWEEPING UP HOMELESS CAMPS





Here are a few more photos that I took for the story on homeless dumping. I was amazed at what the clean-up teams found. Can you spot the broom in the top picture? I'm not sure that's a necessary item when you live outside. When Thoreau said, "Simplify, simplify, simplify", I think he was specifically referring to brooms. What does it say about our culture when even our homeless are hoarders? I mentioned in my last post about some peoples inability to pull themselves up by their bootstraps. This is especially hard if you abandon your boots, regardless of your artistic abilities. I call the third photo "Fuck Your Charity". It is a collage of uneaten organic granola bars interspersed with business cards from a local church (the donor of said bars). And lastly, you know you live in Colorado when a homeless girl leaves her medical marijuana to be thrown out. To be fair she also left her state ID, so perhaps she forgot about the scheduled "clean-up" and was out trying to secure a broom.  

No comments:

Post a Comment