Tuesday, June 9, 2009

MY FIRST PHOTO JOB IN JORDAN


Full disclosure: no money changed hands, but I was physically working as a photographer. My friend Hazim is the CEO of Kulacom, an internet service provider here in Amman. He was interviewed yesterday by UMen magazine, and asked if he could provide his own photographer: me. Another of countless examples of my friends hooking me up over here. I spent the afternoon trying to capture the youthful coolness of his new company with my camera and a few strobes. These are a few of my favorite pictures. I'm not sure what the magazine will ultimately use. I did learn a few cultural lessons today. First off, smiling is not a natural Arab reaction to a camera, and secondly, sitting on a ledge with legs raised toward the chest is considered feminine. Good to know. No wonder I've been getting funny looks. 

3 comments:

  1. Now with the blog as a bookmark I know where to go if I need a laugh quickly. .....Good to have on hand. It is not always easy having your loved ones in Iraq.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be damned about the lady pose- who would have guessed.
    Miss you and glad you are doing well.
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pics!!! What do they say about a photographer who holds his camera like a little fairy?!

    ReplyDelete