Monday, March 16, 2009

TO ZOOM OR NOT TO ZOOM


If I had my choice, I'd shoot all human subjects at 16mm. I like being up close and personal, to form a bond, however briefly, with the people I shoot. Shooting inches away from peoples faces is uncomfortable at first (mostly for them), but it usually causes laughter, which I've found to be the best trick in establishing a quick trusting rapport. The picture below, taken in Burma, was shot at 16mm about a foot from this beautiful woman's face. After her initial laughter she relaxed, her kids forgot about my camera, and her immense dignity rose to the surface. For wide-angle shooting, it doesn't get much better than countries like Burma and India. Some people however will never feel comfortable with a camera pointed at their face. I've particularly noticed this in countries like Japan and Peru. I learned quickly in Peru that if I wanted to capture people acting naturally I would have to be sneaky and use my zoom lens. I spotted the man above from across the street in downtown Lima and badly wanted to take his photo.  I hid behind a news stand, and using my 105mm lens made the above shot. After about the 4th shot he noticed me and walked off.  

No comments:

Post a Comment