Sunday, March 15, 2009

PERUVIAN BLANKET SMUGGLING BUS

I just got back from a ten day trip to Peru.  During the trip I took a 9 hour bus ride from Puno to Cuzco on the Libertad bus line (in English the "Freedom" line). At the beginning of the journey a local woman handed out blankets for everyone to sit on, except for the two gringos onboard (myself and my traveling partner). At the time I thought it rather rude to exclude the only foreigners with the cohones to ride the bus of the locals. Turns out those blankets were illegal undocumented blankets on which the proper taxes had not been paid. A raid by the police confiscated about half of them. As for the other half, the co-conspirators were able to convince the authorities that they were their own personal blankets. This is the type of excitment you only get when you pay less than $5.00 for a 9 hour bus ride.  

No comments:

Post a Comment