Friday, April 12, 2013

FINDING THE PERFECT FACE MASK


Finding the perfect face mask in China can be daunting. With so many styles and colors to chose from, it is hard to know which one is right for you. I started by thinking about color. I needed something neutral that could go with both casual t-shirts on days off, and dress shirts for work. My palette is a pretty steady stream of black and blues, so I decided a nice solid navy blue would do the trick. Blue has the added bonus of bringing out my eyes. Now as far as style is concerned, I knew I wanted something more permanent, and not the ubiquitous white disposable mask I see so often. I work hard enough to deserve a nice cloth mask. At the same time I thought, any kind of bourgeois jewel encrusted number would be inappropriate. Simple plain cloth seemed like a good middle-ground. It says, "I'm not a peasant, but I'm also not a government minister." The perfect utilitarian working mans mask. But then I thought it needed a little something, so I added a picture of Chinese artist Ai Weiwei. If you don't know who he is, do yourself a favor and watch the documentary "Never Sorry".

No comments:

Post a Comment