Sunday, February 17, 2013

COCKFIGHTING IN BALI








One day while out exploring in Bali, I came across hundreds of scooters parked on the side of the road and people crowded underneath a big blue tarp. After a closer investigation I stumbled upon an Indonesian pastime: cockfighting. Though it might seem cruel to some, I was intrigued by it. Cockfighting roosters are among some of the best cared for animals on the island. They are raised on special diets and are over a year old before they fight (chickens go to the slaughterhouse after about two months). The fights themselves last only a few minutes, as the roosters have large blades tied to their feet. Immediately after the fight, the losing rooster is butchered and cooked. I was told the meat is delicious, though I never tried it. The fights I saw were for sport, and men bet on average around $5  each match. Cockfighting is also done for ceremonial/religious reasons here in Bali. It is not uncommon for men to get seriously injured for getting too close at a match and indadvertedly catching a flying blade.    It was for this reason that the locals seemed worried by my decision to use my fast 35mm prime lens to document the matches.

No comments:

Post a Comment