Wednesday, March 16, 2011

WELCOME TO THE SLAUGHTERHOUSE





Yes, today I took pictures inside a chicken slaughterhouse. I think every meat-eater should visit one, not to reform them, but to have some idea of where your food comes from. The factory pictured here processes 20,000 chickens a day (which is not considered a lot), with an average chicken age of 40 days old. Islamic law states that animals must bleed out when slaughtered, so animals are conscious when their throats are cut. This way their hearts continue pumping. I was told that the worst job inside the factory is the feather station shown in the 4th photo. It's at this stage in the process that the most bacteria and germs are present. The workers employed here make around $300 a month for this less than pleasant work. That's for 10 hour days, 6 days a week. And to think I was almost upset that shooting here ruined a nice pair of my jeans (you can't take the second picture without getting squirted by blood).

3 comments:

  1. Where is Mike Rowe - "Dirty Jobs?" Brian, I won't eat chicken for a few days until those photos are gone from my short term memory.

    Harrisburg, PA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, on the other hand, am making chicken soup tonight!!!!

    ReplyDelete