Friday, February 25, 2011

MEET HANI ALQAM



Hani Alqam is the kind of artist that can inspire you by just being around him. Hani grew up on the other side of the tracks in a refugee camp, and his artwork finds its inspiration from a profound admiration and respect for the people he grew up with. One of his greatest joys is wandering around downtown Amman and having bizarre conversations with people. He is a self-taught artist who is continually experimenting with form and technique. His style has influenced many in both the older and newer generations of Ammani painters.

As I don't like to be associated with complete crap journalism, I've included a tear-sheet from a magazine I used to work for that has disintegrated into total rubbish in the past year, after their fantastic editor Eddie Taylor left. I took the picture of Hani used in the article, but the writer/editor was too lazy to bother calling Hani to interview him for the story. There is even a made-up quote in the article. When I showed the piece to Hani he translated it for me and was almost as pissed about it as I was. Do yourself a favor and stick with magazines in Jordan with some journalistic integrity (look hard!). Post-script: The middle picture was an idea I had that nobody seemed to like where I Photoshopped Hani to look like one of his paintings. Check out Hani's website by clicking here, and collectors, do yourself a favor and buy one of his paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment