Thursday, September 23, 2010

SHAPING THE LIGHT



These are portraits of Jordanian artist Hani Alqam that I took earlier today. He was very gracious and let me experiment quite a bit with my lights. The key light in each of the above photos was shaped by a different tool. From top to bottom: ring light, large soft box, and honeycomb grid. I bounced two other lights off the ceiling to give his shoulders a little rim light and to light the paintings behind him. Post a comment and let me know which one you like the best. My favorite is a completely different concept that I'll post after it publishes.

5 comments:

  1. definitely numero dos... rings as key were a fad... softboxes will always rule (kinda like classical music)... your grid was too low (in elevation) and is causing a funny nose shadow... besides which specular lights are u=often unflattering to less than perfect flesh. can't wait to see the fav!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Number two..I have no technical reason, it just looks the most natural and flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks anonymous. you have a keen eye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I have been told I have a keen eye from other people as well. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete