Sunday, June 8, 2014

LEGIONS OF HONOR: FLEMISH SURREALISM





I've never been a fan of your average, run of the mill art museums. When I was younger I wasn't able to express just what it was about the vast majority of art that didn't sit well with me. As I got older and dug a little deeper into the absurdity that is the art world I understood what I hated: most art museums are just tools that rich people use to prop up their art investments. Real art, art painted with passion and blood, is rarely is seen in public galleries. Of course there are exceptions, artists like Van Gogh, who became known in spite of collectors, but most of the time I leave galleries feeling uninspired. Most of the art hanging in the Legions of Honor in San Francisco was lackluster, but the Flemish painters of the 1500s were something special. I could stare at these paintings all day. I'm still trying to figure out just what's behind Jesus' expression in the last picture. The best I could come up with: "Really, I'm dying for these assholes sins?" I also love how all the artists above use soulless anxiety-ridden eyes to capture the evil that is the mass of men. They are hauntingly beautiful, unique, and worth the price of admission (we used our college IDs).  

No comments:

Post a Comment