Thursday, December 12, 2013

MY NEW HOBBY: REPURPOSING


These pictures may be a little misleading as it appears at first glance that an alter got repurposed into an alter. Please understand that the top photo is an organ with religious figures haphazardly placed on it. The bottom photo is a well thought out and executed alter. I blame this new hobby on watching too many episodes of American Pickers at the gym. The house we rented here in Colorado Springs came furnished, and among the furnishings was this dilapidated organ. I originally asked the landlord if I could get rid of it because I considered it an eyesore. But slowly it grew on me. I started seeing the beauty of this old piece. I ended up doing a lot to bring it back to life, but it was important to me to keep its original integrity intact. I gutted all the internal organ parts and replaced the front panels with art glass. I also added lights. I think my favorite part of the whole piece are the cast iron foot pedals. 




2 comments: