Saturday, August 3, 2013

THE BEAUTY OF CATHOLICISM




I think the most beautiful churches in the United States are the Spanish mission churches of New Mexico and California. My two favorites are Santuario de Chimayo in New Mexico and San Miguel Arcangel in California, both of which are pictured above. I never met Jesus, but something tells me he would have favored their simplistic design as opposed to the mega-cathedrals of Europe. It reminds me of that scene in Indiana Jones in the Last Crusade where the holy grail turns out to be the simple wooden one and not the jewel encrusted gold one. 

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that. I have always felt the same way about the indulgences often found in "holy" places. I remember being blown away by the offensively over-the-top bling at Westminster Abby when I visited London.

    I hope to talk again soon Brian. All my best,

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete