Monday, February 20, 2012

GHANA PART ONE: LOOKING




Taking photos in Ghana was difficult. People in this former slave colony are understandably distrustful of white folks. I typically prefer photos where subjects are ignoring my lens, but I find lots of truthful gesture in shots like the four guys above. Julie and I had an interesting run-in with supposed "immigration officials" in downtown Accra who detained us for a bit until we fled on foot, hiding in the busy market nearby, much like a cliched action sequence in a movie. We both emerged a little shaken but unharmed. I found positive redemption the next few days on a home-stay to Torgorme Village. There I became known by my African name, Kofi Mabuki, which means "pray for us".

1 comment:

  1. There seems to be an ongoing theme of you and Julie running from authorities when in a foreign country. I glad you got away again.

    ReplyDelete