Wednesday, August 3, 2011

NRA MUSEUM: FAIRFAX, VIRGINIA





Ah, the world of politics. The American reality of how just liking a thing or taking a position inevitably polarizes and separates otherwise educated people has always been difficult for me. My political views are all over the place, and I'd be hard pressed to call myself anything. One thing I will confess is that I admire beautiful guns. The really nice ones are truly pieces of art. So I was excited to learn that the NRA museum was only a mile from George Mason University where Julie studied this summer. I found the museum to be refreshingly apolitical. No preaching, just room after room of historical guns. Whether you like them or not, guns are an important part of our history. For better or worse, guns carved out our great promise land of rapidly diminishing opportunity, and as Hunter S. Thompson once wrote, "Some people stockpile food in anticipation of the apocalypse. I'm stockpiling bullets."

No comments:

Post a Comment