Friday, October 15, 2010

MAGAZINES BY THE ADVERTISERS FOR THE ADVERTISERS

When I saw this magazine cover a few days ago, I thought, "nice, Living Well is 15 years old." Living Well is one of the best selling magazines in Jordan. After closer inspection though I discovered that the cover was an advertisement for the telecommunications company Zain. The magazine sold the entire cover as an advertisement! It is no secret that advertisers rule the magazines here in Jordan. Paid readership is so low with most magazines that advertising makes up nearly all their income. With that dynamic in place, the reader takes back seat, if they are even allowed in the car at all. That's why it is impossible to find one honest review of a restaurant, hotel or spa. Everything here is fantastic! Zain is fantastic! Thanks Living Well for this gorgeous cover. It looks great on my coffee table. I hope Pepsi gets it next month!

Update: An inside source informed me that Zain bought the cover of this magazine for roughly $14,000.

2 comments:

  1. yes, the land of advertorial.... love it. One of my local mags used for their debut issue the iconic advertising photograph from one of the golf developments in this area as their cover shot.... good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This isn't an ad cleverly disguised as magazine content. This is an ad as the entire cover of the magazine.

    ReplyDelete